WCNP FM – 89.5 is an independent, community-supported, non-commercial, educational radio station serving central and southern Wisconsin. Located in Baraboo, WI, we broadcast with a transmitter output of 6.5kW serving Baraboo, Madison, Reedsburg, Wisconsin Dells and surrounding vicinities with this chief commitment:
“In essentials unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.”
We invite you to learn more about our station by browsing our website, contacting us, or by tuning in today.
Our vision is to reach and renew the heart of south-central Wisconsin by providing its citizens with quality non-commercial programming under three main headings:
- Programming a variety of classical and sacred music
- Promoting the development of the arts in communities
- Providing performance opportunities for local talent
- Enabling a deeper understanding and appreciation for historic Christianity
- Energizing the development of good character amongst individuals
- Encouraging mutual respect and appropriate cooperation amongst diversity
- Equipping individuals to live healthy and productive lives
- Encouraging the development of strong and stable families
- Enabling the flourishing of local economies through the promotion of free enterprise
WCNP was conceived by Dennis Baldridge in 2005 when he began conducting the initial research, praying for God’s direction, and developing the general vision for the station.
Having settled on the general themes of music, faith, and community, Mr. Baldridge then formed the non-profit organization “Freedom and Liberty” through which the initial application for the station was filed in 2007.
After three years of prayerful waiting and watching, a small group of supporters rejoiced over the good news that the FCC granted the construction permit. The call letters WCNP were secured in the Fall of 2010.
For the remainder of 2010 and during the year of 2011 technical and legal matters were addressed (engineering structural analysis, becoming a 501(c)3 organization, etc.). During this time, capital funds were also raised as the support base grew.
In 2012, the station was introduced to the community, fundraisers were held, a studio location was chosen, the antenna was ordered, and programs began to be selected for airing.
As soon as the ground began to thaw in 2013, construction began, testing ensued, and full operation commenced on April 5, 2013.
A grand opening event was held on June 7, 2013, and we were encouraged by the support expressed by several members of our community.
Since then, the station has continued to grow in quality and listenership. We thank God for blessing our humble efforts and trust him to use our station for his glory.